ASP.NET MVC eBook Tutorial Available for Free
Scott Guthrie has announced on his blog that an end-to-end tutorial is available now as a free eBook. The tutorial is a chapter from Professional ASP.NET MVC 1.0 book now in production written by Scott Hanselman, Rob Conery, and Phil Haack for Wrox. You can preorder the book now from Amazon.
The tutorial starts by using the File->New Project command in Visual Studio to create a brand new ASP.NET MVC project, and then incrementally adds functionality and features. Along the way it covers how to:
- Create a database
- Build a model with validation and business rules
- Implement data listing/details UI on a site using Controllers and Views
- Enable CRUD (Create, Update, Delete) data form entry
- Use the ViewModel pattern to pass information from a Controller to a View
- Re-use UI across a site using partials and master pages
- Implement efficient data paging
- Secure an application using authentication and authorization
- Use AJAX to deliver dynamic updates
- Use AJAX to add interactive map support
- Perform automated unit testing (including dependency injection and mocking)
For more information, see Scott Guthrie's blog entry Free ASP.NET MVC eBook Tutorial. You can download the end-to-end tutorial ASP.NET MVC from Amazon.com. It's 185 pages. So this will cover what you're looking for.
The ASP.NET MVC team announced an updated release candidate this week. You can download it from ASP.NET MVC Release Candidate 2.
The ASP.NET MVC framework defines a specific pattern to the Web Application folder structure and provides a controller base-class to handle and process requests for “actions”. Developers can take advantage of the specific Visual Studio 2008 MVC templates within this release to create their Web applications, which includes the ability to select a specific Unit Test structure to accompany their Web Application development.
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 6:34 PM by Bruce Kyle