VMDK(VMWare) to VHD Converter
Several people have asked me how to convert from VMWare to VHD format. Here are the steps to get you going:
1) Download VMDK to VHD converter free tool from http://vmtoolkit.com/files/folders/converters/entry8.aspx I had successfully converted disks 29Gb in size
2) “Prepare” your VMWare image by following steps in http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid94_gci1239063,00.html or http://www.jaylee.org/post/2008/10/How-to-convert-a-big-VMWare-VMDK-into-an-Hyper-V-VHD.aspx
3) Install Virtual Server 2005 (Std/Ent, R2 or not – but if R2, select Enterprise and install the one with SP1 – it’s all free and on the web…)
4) Make sure your VMWare image contains at least one IDE drive before final shutdown (VS2005 will need it). Take note of drives inside VM (C,D,E…)
5) Convert each one VMW files into VHD
6) Attach “system” disk as a main disk in new Virtual Server image
NOTE: You could roll out Virtual Machine Manager and use the “conversion” feature in one step instead of six.
Thanks to Oleg Kofman from MS who provided me this info...
Published Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:22 PM by zainnab