Tip of the Day – SQL Server Client tools
You don’t have to install all of the full SQL Server client tools to get connectivity to SQL Server or analysis services. They have been broken up and are available individually for download as part of the SQL Server feature pack.
For example you can pull down:
- SQL Server 2008 native client.
- SQL Server Management Objects (SMO)
X86 Package (SharedManagementObjects.msi) - 3225 KB
X64 Package (SharedManagementObjects.msi) - 3895 KB
IA64 Package (SharedManagementObjects.msi) - 5640 KB
- Analysis Services 10 OLE DB Driver.
- Analysis Server Management Objects (AMO)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 JDBC Driver 1.2 to connect to SQL Server from Java
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Driver for PHP to connect to SQL server from PHP
There’s also a load of other utilities like backward compatibility stuff e.g. to edit and run data transformation services packages.
Finally as I have blogged before these tools are not licensed in themselves, it is SQL Server that is licensed for either client access or per cpu (socket NOT core).