Windows 7 tips & tricks
Published 13 January 09 08:22 PM
The Beta’s out! I’ve been using it for the past week and a half now, and so far it’s rocking and rolling! Really like some of the usability features, and looking forward to trying things like AppLocker and Direct Access. I was reading Tim Sneath’s blog the other day, where he posted some interesting tips and shortcuts, my favourite of which are below:
- Win+Left Arrow and Win+Right Arrow - dock;
- Win+Up Arrow and Win+Down Arrow - maximizes and restores / minimizes;
- Win+Shift+Up Arrow and Win+Shift+Down Arrow - maximizes and restores the vertical size.
- Win+P, – quickly change displays:
- Win+Home - minimize all the non-active background windows
- Win+Shift+Left Arrow and Win+Shift+Right Arrow - move windows from one monitor to another
- Win+1, Win+2, Win+3 - open the corresponding icon on the taskbar. In the below example, Win+1 will open IE, Win+2 for Outlook, Win+3 for Windows Explorer etc.
- Also on the above, left-clicking and dragging upwards on a taskbar icon opens the Jump List (useful if you are using touch screen or only have one mouse button!)