Friday, November 21, 2008

PASS 2008 Conference - Day Five

 

PASS 2008 Conference - Day Five

Published 21 November 08 05:01 PM | Buck Woody

Today was the final day of the conference, but I had a packed house for our discussion on PowerShell and SQL Server. I wanted to blog about one concept I covered in the demo: Why would I use PowerShell when I have SSIS, stored procs, batch files and other mechanisms?

I submit the following reasons:

  • PowerShell is a shell, so you get immediate feedback
  • PowerShell is kind of a language, so you can work in batches later if you want (writing scripts)
  • PowerShell makes working with HTML output easy
  • PowerShell makes working with XML easy
  • PowerShell makes working with WMI easy
  • PowerShell can talk to Windows things
  • PowerShell can talk to Exchange things
  • PowerShell can talk to SharePoint things
  • PowerShell can talk to .NET things (it uses .NET as well)
  • PowerShell can talk to (insert Microsoft technology here) things
  • PowerShell is fairly easy to learn
  • PowerShell scripts are fairly easy to read
  • PowerShell can look like Unix/Perl/DOS/whatever

OK - go off and try it. It isn't hard, it works well, and it makes your work easer.  By the way, the materials weren't at PASS, so I'll share them here.

Carpe Datum : PASS 2008 Conference - Day Five

No comments:

Blog Archive