Monday, August 11, 2008

Richard's Weblog : Programming Hyper-V with WMI and C# - Getting Started

 

Programming Hyper-V with WMI and C# - Getting Started

You may have seen from a recent post that I received a new laptop that was capable of running Hyper-V.  Well, it's all fully installed and working, so I thought I might blog about it a bit.  There are plenty of existing blogs on Hyper-V, so I thought I might take a slightly different tack and look at coding for Hyper-V in C#. 

This suits me fine as I like to get to know new software technologies via their API - I think it really helps to understand the features and what you can do with a technology if you have to write some code using it.  You may think differently, depending on how much coding you do - if you are more of a scripter, then check out my colleague, Ben Pearce's blog, where he does a similar thing to what I'm doing here, but using PowerShell.

Anyway, Hyper-V provides a nice interface for scripting and programming.  The interface is usable from any scripting/coding language that can access WMI.  For example: VBScript, C++, PowerShell, C#, etc.  In this short tutorial I'll look at connecting and querying via C#, but the techniques can be easily adapted to the language of your choice.

...

See full post for details and code examples.

...

Richard's Weblog : Programming Hyper-V with WMI and C# - Getting Started

No comments:

Blog Archive